An Analyst is expected to work effectively as part of a client delivery team, refining and deepening their knowledge of Gain Theory’s working practices and methodologies. They will build upon knowledge laid out in the training academy and take an active role in developing and supporting Graduate Analysts. Likely tasks will be requesting, processing, checking and analysis of data from disparate sources. Analysts also take a central role in the building of base models and initial data interrogation. Leading on from this they will help compile results for the purpose of client delivery and start to interpret results forming views, implications and assist in generating recommendations. Analysts are expected to attend client debriefs and be able to communicate with clients via phone and e-mail.
Behaviour Profile: FAST Framework
Forward Thinking: Demonstrates personal initiative; Able to prioritise and deliver multiple tasks; Is able to think of ways to streamline and make processes faster; Attempts to solve problems with limited support from others. An analyst should always look to identify future tasks early on and start them before being specifically told to do so
Active: Can help colleagues understand the company structure as well as help new staff members to integrate into the company; Understanding of Internal Stakeholders that can help enhance personal performance; Works collaboratively with others; Is able to remain factual, open and accept responsibility; Builds rapport based on mutual respect, trust and collaboration; Takes responsibility for personal learning and development
Simplicity: Understanding of value vs. effort for given tasks; Notices areas of a project that can be improved upon and communicates this; Has developed an understanding of what Gain Theory does and the company’s philosophy; Clear and concise communication; Breaks down information and problems to derive solutions
Transparent: Delivers to time and meets quality expectations in all aspects of the role; Recognised by others as someone who delivers what they say they will; Uses appropriate information and data to tell a simple, pervasive story; Applies experience and common sense to complete tasks. Should be able to guide other staff members through their workings with clarity and ease
Working with data: Data extraction and manipulation, data analysis and validation, batch files, programming.
- Undertake data extraction, manipulation and undertake data analysis to understand the market place and client context relevant to each project
- Analyse all datasets to ensure that each KPI is understood and can be explained back to the team
- Create data validation deck to ensure all data used is correct and signed off by a client
- Ensure that RAP file is structured to meet requirements of project (e.g. order and number of variables, exclusion of unnecessary variables) and that batch files can reproduce RAP file exactly
- Ensure that all outputs are checked for accuracy when data is transformed and keep a record of the checks made
- Be proficient in using data extraction tools (i.e. AdvantEdge, AdDynamix, Sysomos, Athena, Google trends, Google analytics, Double Click)
- Be proficient in a variety of tools including some of but not limited to Excel/SQL/Python/Pandas/RAP/Analytics Workbench to process, transform, create variables and build models. Increases proficiency in a selection of these that best serve current and future team / Gain Theory needs
- Take responsibility for data collection including preparation and sending of data requests to clients and agencies
- Check all data that comes from the client is correct and is what has been asked for. Contact client on both phone and e-mail with data questions that may arise and chase outstanding data as required.
- Be able to field face to face questions from clients regarding received data
Building Models: Model building and validation, sales effects calculations, ROIs, media optimisation.
- Build comprehensive base models according to the project specification incorporating all drivers of KPIs, providing rationale for variables entered, understanding coefficients and sales effects. Explore additional improvements and have suggestions for further model development.
- Make sure that any applicable diagnostic tests are passed and that the outputs make sense
- Calculate sales effects throughout the project to check results and assess their correctness i.e. does media contribution make sense?
- Create sales effect / ROI workbook, ensure it is easy to follow and all links are correct
- Create response curves and optimisation spreadsheet or alternatively use available tools to do so
Creation of presentations: Content creation, summary of findings, accuracy checks.
- Create content as specified by project lead and ensure that all content is checked for accuracy and that it is correctly labelled, compliant with GT branding and templates, complete and ready for delivery to client
- Own the writing of slides, specifically data issues and methodology sections of a presentation. Create draft versions of most slides and add original content.
Interpretation of results: Result interpretation and rationale, recommendations, translation of results from analytics into actionable recommendations.
- Understand the implications of results to the client
- Be able to interpret results and give solid rationale
- Be able to explain and justify any potential changes that need to be made to provide sensible results
Meetings: Organisation of internal and external meetings, participation and attendance as required, agenda, minutes, lead meetings.
- Facilitate the organization of external project meetings
- Initiate internal project meetings and check that all meetings are entered correctly in the office calendar. Take responsibility for making sure an agenda exists and lead if necessary.
- Write up internal and external project minutes and action points and distribute internally within the project team
Project & Resource Management: Project management, timing plans, tasks allocation, project delivery.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and appropriately stored
- Liaise with other members of the team to agree on lead times for each stage of the project, in doing so assisting more senior members of the team
- Contact client with any questions regarding the project (data, objectives, meeting dates etc.)
- Liaise with client via email and telephone where appropriate
Team Support & Development: Team collaboration, leadership, communication.
- Ensure that excellent performance is acknowledged and reasons for success are shared amongst the team
- Behave in a way that reinforces values and goals of Gain Theory to all employees
- Take responsibility for supervising, supporting and training junior team members
- You may be asked to Project manage Trainee Analysts during training project
- Assist team members in interpreting the tasks they have been set
Innovation: Process improvements, product development, new trainings.
- Actively seek more efficient ways of doing things and turn suggestions into actions where applicable
- Host knowledge shares to share your experience on topics of interest with the business
- Be proactive in using new tools and take the active part in their testing when in the development stage in line with your personal expertise / skills
Business Development: New business development, client retention, business development planning, management and research
- Support client leads in achieving revenue targets
- Support client leads in achieving revenue targets and with tasks relating to pitch material creation or internal product and services collateral / R&D etc.
Brand: Live the brand. Understand our mission and values, how they link to FAST behaviours and engage with culture locally and across global hubs
- Start to explore your own strengths and interests and how these can best serve others and integrate with our company.
Knowledge: Understand that experiencing new things and actively seeking new knowledge is beneficial to you as an individual. Sharing knowledge gained with colleagues and the wider business differentiates Gain Theorists
- Shows a desire to support business development initiatives internally as required. Contribute and share any areas of specialism that can strengthen the GT offering
Network: We all have a responsibility to promote Gain Theory within our network as networks are the cornerstone of business development. All staff should maintain a professional LinkedIn profile
- Show an interest in external activities GT staff undertake; be aware that networks are valuable and that you can never start too soon. Start a solid LinkedIn account.
- Has a level of confidence that is sufficient to operate and contribute to a non-GT environment
Wider Group: Understand that to operate within a group we must collaborate, share and support its members. Appreciate that Group success and setbacks do impact Gain Theory
- Know we are part of WPP and GroupM. Have a working knowledge of our key competitors and media agencies we work with
Client Meetings: Do everything possible to make every client engagement a success. Be punctual, respectful, well presented and mindful
- Actively listen, make meeting notes and contribute if appropriate to external meetings
- You may be asked to have certain information to hand and be the expert in certain areas of the data, ready to answer detailed client questions about these
Consultancy: We do not report on data, we consult businesses providing valuable insight, analysis and recommendations often based on data
- Learn to contextualise the data you handle. For example, what is the market context of these sales? What share does our client have? Do numbers make business sense?
- Be able to assist with consultative analysis as directed by management, think independently and identify areas of interest in results as they are produced. Act like a consultant and not just a data handler / modeler.
Opportunities: Always be on the lookout for an opportunity to upsell
- Strive for constant improvement in deliverables thinking about this from a client / user context. Flag and develop ideas in conjunction with management
Relationships: Be aware that the strength of individual client stakeholders is directly linked to the strength of the overall relationship, therefore all levels at Gain Theory play an integral role in maintaining healthy client relationships and success
- If meeting / socialising with your client, make every effort to set a good impression
- To build a valuable line of communication with counterparts from client and agencies. Know who best to ask for certain data / information. Call as well as email.
Service: We meet or exceed objectives, always on time and as a team. We are the trusted advisors, here to anticipate and fulfill client needs
- Support the team and display flexibility that is sensitive to client expectations and service expectations set by management
Team Effectiveness, Efficiency and Wellbeing
Attitude: Challenge attitudes or behaviours that impact team moral, encourage those who make everyone better off (EBO) and be proactive
- To build up a good rapport with graduates, be openly enthusiastic and positive and communicate any issues if needed
Communication: Ensure the team is aligned and up to speed on what you are doing, any important updates, when you have completed tasks or need help
- To assist Graduates in interpreting the tasks they have been set
- Flag areas of development for more junior staff to management. For small issues provide instant feedback and advise, praise when appropriate
Innovation: Show interest in what other teams are delivering and promote team and company innovation
- Engage with suggested changes in process made by your team and help make things more efficient
- Continuously flag improvements in processes and output so it can be assessed by management. Come with potential solutions not problems
Resourcing & Timing: Be flexible and open to new opportunities. Manage your time and commitments to hit agreed internal and external deliverables
Is able to estimate the length of time a task or set of tasks will take and manage own time to meet this timeline of deliverables. Communicate anticipated differences to the plan.
If you’re interested in working in a forward-thinking and people-powered environment and would like to join the Gain Theory tribe then simply hit ‘Apply Now’ and email your CV along with a cover letter to our team.Apply now